Since 1969 the parish has grown enormously through the building of several private housing estates and it is still growing. The Parish stretches from the A6 trunk road westerly to the borders of the Charnwood Forest. The area is served by three churches all located on Park Road:
* The Good Shepherd (Church of England)
*Beacon Christian Centre (Pentecostal)
*Sacred Heart (Roman Catholic).
The church grew out of a Women’s Friendly Group in Shelthorpe, a pre-war housing estate on the south side of Loughborough, in the 1930s. The church was built in 1938 as a Mission Church as part of the larger Emmanuel Parish. By the late fifties a need was felt for a building that could house the many social events. The church hall was opened in 1959. The Parish of Shelthorpe was established in 1969. The name was changed to The Good Shepherd, Loughborough in 1979. This was to reflect that the church was in an expanding area of the town and did not just represent the geographical area of Shelthorpe.
The Good Shepherd Church premise is centrally located in the parish and surrounded by a residential area. It is in an excellent position on a busy road.
Today, the Good Shepherd is seeking to reach out with the Gospel of Jesus to a parish with an estimate of 12,000 people and we pray that the mission may long continue.
For a full description of our vision and values, click here.